10.22.2013

Intentional Instructional Practices

I drive a champagne-colored GMC Yukon for two reasons...seating capacity and height. When the girls were little, I needed extra seats to carpool friends. And since my battle with a sand truck, I had always wanted a taller vehicle. Oh...and I loved the color because champagne is the color of dirt! Ha!

But if my husband surprised me with a new car, I would check the basics like color, cup holders, horn, mirror adjustment, etc. It would be cool to have extras like warm seats at the push of a button. Or a rear-view camera. Or voice-activated Bluetooth. I would adjust to the extras with practice. But if my sweet man purchased a manual car instead of an automatic...oh my...that would involve major changes. I've never successfully driven a manual car. It would change the way I drive because I would have to be intentional. I would have to think about the path to my destination and the shifts necessary along the way so as to arrive without whiplash or rear-end damage from stalling the car in LA traffic.

Implementing the Common Core State Standards is similar to adjusting to the new car. Some standards remain; others are new and cool but you'll figure them out with practice. People say "CCSS change the way we teach." Well...maybe...with new content standards there is an automatic change. But they are not referring to the content. The practice standards involve major changes. And the only way to reach the rigor and depth integrated throughout the CCSS is to make connections and develop the standards for mathematical practice. And those mathematical habits of mind are developed through intentional instructional practice.



Genius Hour Agenda (10.23)
  • Strategic Planning: Prioritize This!
  • So what?
  • Now what?

No comments:

Post a Comment